Intravenous Therapy Refresher Program- This one day hands-on training is designed for clinicians who wish to gain competence and confidence to insert peripheral IV catheters and manage PICC and midline catheters.
Blood flashback location, catheter advancement, and needle retraction vary between catheter manufacturers. Attendees who wish to enhance skills with the same brand of catheter used at their facility may bring a few catheters to class.
Who should attend the Intravenous Therapy Refresher Program?
- Nurses in acute care hospitals and skilled nursing facilities who wish to improve peripheral catheter insertion skills
- Clinicians longing to learn PICC and midline care and maintenance
- RNs re-entering the workforce
- Radiology and respiratory technicians required to perform IV therapy procedures
- Review vascular access device (VAD) selection guidelines
- Differences between peripheral catheter, midline, and central vascular access devices
- Describe pH and osmolarity of infusates, irritant, and vesicant medications
- Venous anatomy and peripheral catheter insertion site selection
- Methods to palpate and locate veins
- Peripheral catheter insertion and troubleshooting technique
- Prevention and management of PIV related complications
- Vascular access devices flushing and locking protocols
- VAD assessment guidelines
- PICC and Midline dressing change protocol
- Removing PICC and Midline Catheters
- Documentation guidelines
Attendees practice to palpate, locate and identify veins on each other and then practice peripheral catheter insertion and troubleshooting techniques on an advanced venipuncture training aid.