This hands-on training program enables nurses and allied healthcare workers to perform venipuncture, collect blood specimen and send the blood specimen for laboratory testing. During hands-on training, attendees practice venipuncture and specimen collection on an advanced venipuncture aid.
Who should attend this training program?
- RNs and LPNs
- New Graduates
- Medical Assistants
- Dental Assistants
- Certified Nursing Assistants
- Allied Healthcare professionals required to perform venipuncture and obtain blood specimen.
- Purpose of phlebotomy
- Describe venous anatomy and venipuncture site selection
- Prepare the patient for venipuncture and specimen collection
- Select equipment for venipuncture and specimen collection
- Illustrate venipuncture and specimen collection technique
- Explain special considerations during blood culture collection
- Explain the order of draw and specimen collection
- Explain to prevent and manage complications
- Documentation guidelines
- Practice phlebotomy and specimen collection