Ultrasound PICC Insertion Training Certification Program
Certificate of Completion with 12.0 CNE contact hours
As recommended by the infusion nurses society, attending an organized training with demonstration and simulated practice sessions is the first step for RNs to obtain PICC insertion qualification and be a vascular access specialist.
Upon completion of this interactive hands-on training program, attendees learn PICC insertion and removal directives and may begin skill validation and competency assessment in a clinical setting according to the facility’s protocols.
- Facilities may request customized on-site training and precepting. Conulting services are available to initiate PICC/Midline catheter insertion teams or enhance your existing team.
- 1-day training is available for licensed independent practitioners (physicians, nurses practitioners, and physician assistants).
Ultrasound Guided PICC Insertion Training Target Audience:
- RNs with peripheral IV insertion skills and knowledge of central venous catheter care and maintenance
- RNs who wish to advance PICC insertion proficiency and success rate
- ASRT/ARRT certified Radiology Technologists (According to individual’s state scope of practice)
PLEASE NOTE: It is each attendee’s responsibility to be informed of their state’s professional regulations, scope of practice, and to practice according to their level of licensure and institutional policies and procedures.
Ultrasound Guided PICC Insertion Training Program Outline
- Define peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC)
- Legal implications and PICC insertion qualification guidelines
- Patient selection criteria for PICC and midline catheter
- Equipment selection criteria
- Venous anatomy as it applies to PICC insertion
- CDC guidelines for central line associated blood stream infection (CLABSI) prevention
- Routine care and maintenance of PICC
- Prevention and management of complications
- Documentation guidelines
- Fundamentals of sonography and ultrasound scanning
- Methods to identify and differentiate blood vessels
- Measuring for SVC tip location
- Setting up maximum barrier precautions
- Ultrasound guided modified Seldinger technique (MST)
- Review measures to prevent and manage insertion related complications
- PICC insertion MST techniques
Ultrasound Guided PICC Insertion Training Practice Session:
Attendees use an ultrasound to scan and locate veins each other, and then practice PICC insertion using a Blue Phantom Vein and Peter PICC mannequin.