About “ PICC Line Certification”
The Accreditation Board for Specialty Nursing Certification defines certification as the formal recognition of the specialized knowledge, skills, and experience demonstrated by the achievement of standards identified by a nursing specialty to promote optimal health outcomes. After meeting defined eligibility criteria, a certification candidate achieves a nationally recognized credential through successful completion of a rigorous examination.
There is no PICC line certification that is recognized by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). RNs, Respiratory and Radiology Technologists may become qualified to insert PICC and midline catheters.
Clinicians who wish to insert PICC Lines:
- Ensure PICC insertion is within your scope of practice
- Hold a valid professional license
- Attend a PICC Insertion training program (often referred as PICC Line Certification) and obtain a certificate of completion
- Following the classroom training, you shall insert PICC under the supervision of a qualified clinician until you are competent to insert without supervision. There is no specific number of supervised insertions. Most employers require correct placement of 3-6 PICCs from a Skill Validator (preceptor) before signing off to practice independently
- Be competent in use, care and maintenance of PICC. Follow institution’s policies and procedures for insertion, use and maintenance of PICC
Infusion Therapy Institute provides a comprehensive Ultrasound Guided PICC and Midline Insertion Training Program. This hands-on training program is developed according to the nationally recognized Infusion Therapy Standards of Practice and CDC guidelines. Our PICC line insertion training program consists of a didactic session, demonstration, simulated insertion, and testing as recommended by the infusion therapy standards of practice. Upon completion of this PICC Line insertion class, attendees need competency validation at their facility according to the institution’s policy and procedure and be “PICC Certified
Key Words: PICC line Certifications and PICC line insertion Training Classes in Illinois –